Register

Author Topic:
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
Post Regarding Signatures & Avatars
on: December 05, 2002 08:02
Announcements regarding signatures and avatars:

1) Signatures have been looking a little crazy lately. Let me remind you of the forums rules: "Please keep sig files no more than a few lines long. Do not clutter up the forum with 10-line long sigs, or slow loading images." Please note, "a few" means no more than 2 - 3 lines. You do not need to quote an entire paragraph in your signature line! Pick something short and sweet.

2) Regarding images in the sig file -- the mods have been seeing a lot of large images (both in pixel and filesize) in sigs lately. We hate having to play "sig cop" all the time -- it's not fun for us, and not for you either. Please limit your sig images to small ones, and only one image per sig. The 2 - 3 lines limit listed above also includes the size of your image -- if it's taller than 2 - 3 lines, then it's too big! Your sig overall should be very small, and no bigger than 2 - 3 lines total, including images.

I'm not saying all of this to be mean, or to impose arbitrary rules. All of these images and extra text cause the forum to load slowly, especially for people on dial-up. Just because the forum loads fast for you does not mean it does for everyone else. In addition, all this extra junk in the sigs makes the forum hard to read, and annoying. If this problem does not clear up quickly, then we will either outlaw images in sigs completely...or disallow the use of sigs for everyone. Please don't make us take such drastic steps.

3) Avatars uploaded to the community pool are intended for everyone to use. Just because you name it with your username, or otherwise put your name on it graphically, does not mean other people can't use it. I'm sorry, but that's just one of the limitations of this forum program. It's free, so don't complain too much, okay? Please only upload two avatars that you modify graphically to make unique somehow to you. No one needs twenty avatars with their name written on them. We will start cleaning out extras at some point. And please don't complain if someone does use one of "your" avatars. If you don't like it, gain some points and get access to the unique avatar pool
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
pipsqueak
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Regarding Signatures & Avatars
on: December 06, 2002 05:22
is an image of about 60 pixels wide and 30 high alright? that's what I normally use, though I can go smaller.
Aireahawen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2002 11:05
I can't even get anything in my sig....
What's that about???
Rivka
Frodo Fanatic and Head Oligarch
Send Message
on: December 06, 2002 02:11
Pip, take a look at it once you put it in your sig, and see if it's bigger than 3 lines or so. If so, then it's too big -- I'd estimate that 30 pixels should be fine.

Aireahawen, you have to modify your signature under "My Account" first, and then modify it in your profile here on the forum. The meshing between the two areas of the site aren't perfect...
"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: December 07, 2002 05:04
Rivka if you want to align left and resize what order do you do it in and how?
I am confused I did copy your post to left align but I guess little HH could be made smaller, Hopefully she'd still work.
Laurel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2003 03:09
gain some points and get access to the unique avatar pool

How do you gain points?

~Laurel~
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2003 07:55
I cant change my avatar!Dont know whats wrong.Ive tried to edit my profile and all,but it just doesnt work.What can i do?
Legolas{Greenleaf}
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2003 01:54
Eomer_Eadig,
I believe that you can go into your account and than choose Change your Info. From there you can change your avatar to whatever you would like. I hope this helps!

Just testing my avatar!
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: March 02, 2003 04:09
How do you gain points?

Yes, how do you gin points?

go to your account and then look at the user points section (its the big smiley face) that not only tells you how many points you have and what they are for, but it tells you how you can earn points..... please note that you do not get points for sending an e card to someone else only for making one for the site.

the user points section also tells you the appropriote person to contact for that section.

cant change my avatar!Dont know whats wrong.Ive tried to edit my profile and all,but it just doesnt work.What can i do?

make sure your avatar is changed in both your account and your forum profile. sometimes changes made in your account do not register in the forums. to get to your forum profile look along the top bar in the forum where RPG characters and FAQ are.

this thread is more of a post for your information which is why it took so long for you all to get a reply .... if you are having problems working out how to work an area of the site its best to look in newbies and post a question in there.... even if your not a newbie it doesnt matter
cosmik01
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 30, 2003 09:58
just wondering if you can add links to sigs
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: April 01, 2003 05:56
yes you can add links to sigs

the best place to ask questions is the newbie forum or to PM a moderator or admin (or just PM the person who welcomed you to the site)

this forum isnt moderated which means some questions could be missed.
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2003 01:22
I don't know where to put this question: is there a way to be logged on all the time, but hide your navigation? I'd like to not have to log in and out everytime I check mail or make a post, but I don't want it to look like I'm here 24 hours a day!
Firstbourne
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2003 06:41
I don't think when you are logged in all the time it will mean that you are online all the time. I have mine logged in all the time and I see that sometimes it says I'm offline. But, heh, I don't really know what I am talking about because I'm not one of these specialy people like the admins or mods. Yeah, guess I had to get my two cents in. O.o
Firstbourne
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 10, 2003 06:44
Might as well go for the 4 cents? -laughs- Yeah, I make no sense. But I am logged in on about 20 computers here at school and yeah... When I go home I have to log on and when I am not it'll say I am offline. Heh, I hope that kind of makes sense. I think it it safe to stay logged in.

((Note: You have to log into the school computers with a username and password, so not just anyone who goes to the site will be under my name. I have a friend who also uses this site. o.o Yeah.))
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 29, 2003 01:24
I was wondering...
When I get my copy of the TT on DVD there is this one like 5 second scene I wanted as my avatar. How can I capture it on the computer and upload it as my avatar? Do I need a special program?
(And also, is that legal? I've seen a lot of people with movie clips as ther avatar.)
Ivorwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 03:36
Eowyn_Touched-By-Frost, those are actually animated gif images that are manually made.

That brings up a question about those animated avatars- one of the reasons that big sigs are not wanted is because the large images take a long time to load. But some of these animated avatars are over 100K each! That's a larger file size than most 1024x768 desktop wallpapers! They take forever to load, even on my cable modem!
Ivorwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 03:38
I've also noticed a couple people direct-link the avatars from this site on their ezboard accounts! (I've checked the image path so I know!)
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: June 20, 2003 06:27
actually direct linking shouldnt work... if you direct link an avatar to out of the site, say to use on EZboard, you get a message saying "direct linking not allowed" or something along those lines.

eowyn there are sites about with small clips of the film on them that people have obviously converted to avatars.. you could try looking around for some.

i thought we had an upload limit size for the avatars too. 128k from what i remember but that could have changed
Inzilbêth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 02, 2003 04:23
Still, no matter what I do, can´t chage anything from my profile or add a signature.
Macilie~Undomiel
Númenor Obsessed
Send Message
on: November 02, 2003 07:41
Well, Inzilbeth, there's quite a few of us in the same boat There's a thread in the 'CoE Rules, Announcements, and Feedback' forum called 'Signature' Read it and you'll get some direction on what to do, but we'll have to be patient for Rivka to fix it
Inzilbêth
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 04, 2003 03:26
Questions:
Can I upload and image from my computer to add it in my signature?
How can I use an avatar from the web and add it in my signature?
sarumans_wolf
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 04, 2003 09:21
Question: how can i put a pic in my signature?????
Alana
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2003 08:32
I don't really understand how you put in a signature, can someone explain it please?
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: November 29, 2003 11:59
Ok, to put a pic in your sig, upload it first of all in your journal. Then right click on the picture and go down to properties. near the bottom of the properties box, there should be the url. Copy and paste it, then use this code-

You can also use bbcode but html works better.

Alana, to get a signature, go to my account then change your information. There should be a field near the bottom where you can put it what you want as your siggy. You just write whatever you want straight it, as long as you don't want links or pictures (If you do, see what I just wrote) you don't need to use any special code.

Inzilbeth, To use an avatar in your sig, first of all save it to your harddisk. Then upload it in the journals and do what I suggesed Sarumans wolf to do

If anyone else has any questions, you might be better asking in the newbies forum, as this forum's not modded.
DimpleGamwich
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2003 10:58
Hi !! Just testing my avatar thingy, yes, I'm new!
Fhêndil
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2004 02:24
Let me see my sig...

Image [/URL]

does this work?

[Edited on 20/2/2004 by Fhêndil]

[Edited on 20/2/2004 by Fhêndil]
Happy_Hobbit
Huggable Hobbit
Send Message
on: January 19, 2004 12:42
For some extra help with Signatures try here
MerenwenLossehelin
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2004 01:54
but then, you could type about 7 lines, and sometimes it only show up as about three, how do we know how long's too long?
Onnadwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 06:19
I've been reading all the posts in this thread. From what I see, I cannot use an image I have uploaded to one of my webspaces... is that correct? It must be uploaded on this site, first?

Thanks!!
Eloise
Giver of Smores
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 06:33
MerenwenLossehelin, to see if it's too long have a look at one of your posts, if it's over three lines it's too long. It's how long it is in the forums rather than when you type it in. Also, if you enter too much text, a warning will pop up letting you know it's too long. You should still check if it's too long in the forum though

Onnadwen, you don't have to upload a pic here to use it, but your site will have to allow direct linking and anyway, it's often easier to upload it here, as it means it's not using up your bandwidth.
Onnadwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 23, 2004 06:57
Thanks, Eloise, for your help. All my sites do allow remote linking so I am ok with that.

I've only used BB code on the net, other than html on eBay so I am not sure how that works. Why is it said that html works better here than BB code?

Manephelien
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 09:10
but then, you could type about 7 lines, and sometimes it only show up as about three, how do we know how long's too long?

Your pic is way too long, it distorts the forum and makes people scroll horizontally, which I find bothersome... You shouldn't have a sig pic more than 650 pixels wide.

Also, if you use a program such as photoshop, you should "save for web", which decreases the sig pic considerably. It's not the area of the pic, it's how many ks it is that makes loads long.
Precious!
SuziDragonlady
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2004 11:09
Oh... can anyone tell me the *exact* allowed signature pic size in pixels (for example my avatar is 50 x 50 and my mini trailer is 120 x 70) Or just tell me if the size of my mini trailer fits, because I want to make more of these...

Thanks!

[Edited on 17/3/2004 by SuziDragonlady]
without_a_star
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 08, 2004 09:39
when u first put your signature, does it have to be html? or do u have to copy and paste the image?
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: April 25, 2004 04:20
I don't think copying and pasting the image will work. You'll have to use HTML or the BBC Code.

Okay I have a question, wehn I upload my picture onto my Journal, under Private and Comments not allowed, my picture ends up without the dot, you know before the jpg or gif. It would look something like this http://www.url.com/images/LadyEowyn_something1gif, that isn't right, what's wrong?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email